Fernanda Thiesen — Web Developer
With several years of hands-on experience, I bring a practical background in front-end development. My work is driven by curiosity, attention to detail, and persistence to innovate and tackle complex problems. With a track record of building intuitive websites and applications, I am passionate about creating seamless user experiences.
In my current role as a Software Developer at Milborne Group, I am responsible for developing and maintaining a cutting-edge real estate sales web app. This includes resolving bugs, improving code quality, enhancing user experience, and building new features to meet the evolving needs of the business (details about my experience).
I am a Juno College of Technology graduate, specializing in web development, with over 20 years of experience in the field of web design. Additionally, I hold a Bachelor's Degree in Social Communications with a specialization in Marketing. As a lifelong learner, I am always seeking out new opportunities to expand my knowledge and skills as a developer.
To learn more about my top talents, work style, and preferences, please visit my Plum Profile.
Skills & Portfolio
ReactJS, Material UI, Vite, Firebase
Firebase Authentication Web App
A Firebase Authentication React app created with Vite. Projects are saved in the Firebase Database, profile pictures in the Firebase Storage and the app is deployed to Firebase Hosting via GitHub.
HTML, Sass, JS, React, Firebase, API
A movie recommendation app built with React, Firebase and the OMDb API.
HTML, Sass, JS, API
Amazed by TV
HTML, CSS, JS, API
The Lord of the Rings Quotes
A one page website that connects to The One Api and displays quotes from the Lord of The Rings movies. The logo was built with the Ringbearer font and CSS, and it adjusts to fit smaller screens.
HTML, CSS, JS, jQuery
The Hangry Tummy
A one page PSD to HTML and CSS conversion project.
HTML, CSS, JS
A responsive coming soon page designed and coded following brand identity guidelines.
- Material UI
- Rest API
- Command Line
- Responsive Design
Front End Web Developer (2021-Present)
As a Software Engineer at Milborne, I develop and maintain a real estate sales web app, resolving bugs, improving code quality, enhancing user experience, adding functionalities and building new features.
- Successfully planned, designed and developed various features with the goal of automating the set up of new projects in the company’s sales web application, reducing managers’ requests and redirecting the development team’s efforts away from manual and repetitive tasks.
- Independently built a feature that allows admins to set multiple conditions used in the generation of purchase and sale agreements, including the selection of unit details and documents to be inserted as a specific page of the contract, allowing for each deal to be fully customized.
- Actively and consistently proposed and implemented UI enhancements to boost visual experience and usability, as well as created table and chart reports, improving data analysis and visualization, facilitating decision-making.
- Independently redesigned the entire app utilizing Material UI styles in accordance with a newly established brand identity provided by a design agency, bridging the design gaps for areas that were not covered, ensuring a seamless and consistent design throughout the app (see before and after screenshots).
- Collaborated closely with the backend developer to develop a unit tracker table from scratch in order to incorporate into the app a complex spreadsheet used by sales admins to track deals, also allowing them to set instructions, statuses and add detailed information and notes for all units in just one place.
- Constantly tweaked the backend not only to accommodate new features, but also to reactivate cron jobs for email reminders and integrate the app with a third party email delivery platform, as well as develop an email tracking feature that allows users to see an activity log of opened emails sent out to purchasers and realtors, which offered me great exposure to backend technologies within the MERN stack and GraphQL Apollo Server and schemas.
- Successfully upgraded the app to the latest versions of React and Material UI, which involved handling significant breaking changes related to the React Hook Form library, MUI Date Component and Apollo Client.
Web Designer (1999-2021)
- Engaged with hundreds of small business owners and managers, uncovering their needs and suggesting marketing and graphic design ideas as well as WordPress functionalities and website solutions within their budgets.
- Designed and customized WordPress themes to match the clients' brand guidelines, introduced plugins to make the websites more interactive, optimized them for SEO, and provided content updates and technical support.
- Worked both individually and with hosting support teams to troubleshoot WordPress and server issues for clients.
Editor-in-chief, Marketer, Web Designer (2009-2022)
OiCanada / Self-Employed
- Developed the online magazine from scratch and reached a substantial average of 100,000 page views per month in 2016.
- Worked individually as a web designer, creating several designs over the years, always keeping a fresh look for the readers, as well as customized some ready-made WordPress themes to match the magazine’s brand guidelines.
- Engaged with several advertisers and partners, understanding their services, products and campaign goals to help them promote their businesses to the magazine’s audience and generate leads by putting together and delivering a promotion package including banner ads, paid content, landing pages, email marketing and social media marketing.
- Collaborated with volunteers and contributors as editor-in-chief, creating, assigning, writing, editing and proofreading content in Portuguese.
- Successfully published more than 1,500 pieces in Portuguese covering tourism, language schools, universities, colleges, high school programs, immigration, work, and culture.
Juno College Certificate (2020-2021)
- Web Development Immersive Bootcamp
- Intro to Web Development
Bachelor’s Degree in Social Communications and Marketing (2001)
FACHA - Faculdades Integradas Hélio Alonso, Brazil
Technical School Certificate in Advertising (1997)
ETEC - Escola Técnica de Comunicação, Brazil